Friday, January 4, 2013

GUNS IN MY FACE AT 14

I am a missionary's son and began living in Mexico at the age of 12.
One day my friend asked if I wanted to go to a canyon to spearfish in the river there .
We gathered our things and I decided to take our two pellet guns with us in case I'd seen a duck or something that we could eat. Manuel took one, I took the other. we grabbed our bikes and headed to another of our friends to see if he wanted to go to, which he did. We rode out of town heading towards the place called Chavez curve where the Father of a girl I liked would always run off of when he was drunk with his truck. This was about seven miles from our homes. We got there and set up to begin our underwater skin diving hunt for fish. We actually got quite a few so we got out and warmed ourselves in the sun on the bank because the water was cold.
While we were warming, we began taking pot shots so to speak at the iguanas that were on the cliffs nearby. after a while we decided it was time to head back but on the way through the woods we cut some cactus to take home to eat and some chili piquin ( wild chili ). We were approaching the entrance to the town which split into a y almost the same shape as this letter y with the right side going into town and the left side going on to another town.
I was on a banana bike and my friends on regular bikes so I was going to be left behind when we started up the hill which was the left side of the y, so I took off to get a head start. Part way up the hill I glanced back to see if my friends were catching up to me and to my surprise they had taken the right side of the y leading into town. Turning the bike around I pedaled as fast as I could to catch up to them, about that time they to turned into an open field and as I am about to catch up to them I hear a pickup racing up behind us and then I hear the sound of guns being locked and loaded. When I turned to look I found a whole back end of a pickup loaded with soldiers and ALL of them pointing their guns at me and Manuel. We were carrying our pellet guns strapped to our backs. We also had not seen the soldiers in the truck until they were on us. The only thing left to do was to hope there wasn't a hair trigger on any of those guns.
The Sargent told Manuel and I to hand over the rifles which we did carefully. After looking at them he realized that they were not firearms but still did not know how to work them so I had to show him. I pumped it up and put one into a can in the field. I expected that he would let us go for they were toys and not real firearms. But instead he said that he was taking them. And he did.
I was born with a fight in me so when I was able to go to their base about three days later I went.
It just so happened that at the time I arrived , I saw the Sargent in a car with someone who looked to be of higher rank, so I walked right up to him. The Sargent got real nervous when he saw me.
I said to the higher ranking Gentleman, Sir would you ask the Sargent to give me back my toys that he took from me and my friend ?He turned and looked at the Sargent and said , What is he talking about ? The Sargent explained what had happened and at the very least he didn't lie about it. The Ranking Officer said , Where are his guns and the Sargent told him that he had taken them home and given them to his boys. With extreme intensity he told that Sargent to go to his house and bring back the guns. The Sargent took off on a run and about 20 minutes later I was thanking the Ranking Officer for his help. As I was leaving I could hear some very angry yelling . But I had my guns back. It was one of those guns that had saved my life a year or so before but that's another story.

These stories are true. I will post no exaggeration or lies. 

2 comments:

  1. Post more memories please : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only ONE Mistake ---- You arrived in Mexico at 11 years old we went to Chamal when you were 12 --- Just Sayin

    ReplyDelete